March 01, 2006

Self-Descriptive Number



Hey... I found some interesting kind of numbers, where you will know their meta-data (description) just by looking at them.

An example of a self-descriptive number is 21200. The first position tells the number of 0s it contains; The second position tells the number of 1s it contains; ... and so on. In this example, 21200 contains 2 0's; 1 1's ; 2 2's; 0 3's and 0 number of 4's. So, the number is self descriptive of itself.

Can you form a 8 digit such number? (Googling for the answer is not allowed) ! Click here for more details and the answer.

I was asked this question in one of the interviews. I took nearly 5 minutes to answer it using trial and error method. Its an interesting one... Is'nt it?

6 Comments:

Marutham said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Seshu,
First time here. Very informative! AndMETA_DATA NUMBER--SUPERB. Have not heard of it before.And they asked this in interview?? COuld you tell me how you went about the analysis in 5 mins??
Regards,
Marutham.

Seshu Karthick said...

Its more like a trial and error method. First, I figured out a 6-digit self-descriptive number, and was pleased to find that it is similar to the 5-digit number , and had a similar pattern. On observing the pattern, I was able to come with a 8-digit number in not much time.

Seshu Karthick said...

sorry... I first came up with 7 digit (not 6-digit) self-descriptive number

Unknown said...

wish I could read numbers. probably thats why I became a doctor. I never like to try these numbers, So boring...

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀PRETTY GIRL 台北酒店經紀人 ,禮服店 酒店兼差PRETTY GIRL酒店公關 酒店小姐 彩色爆米花酒店兼職,酒店工作 彩色爆米花酒店經紀, 酒店上班,酒店工作 PRETTY GIRL酒店喝酒酒店上班 彩色爆米花台北酒店酒店小姐 PRETTY GIRL酒店上班酒店打工PRETTY GIRL酒店打工酒店經紀 彩色爆米花