July 06, 2007

Self-made Entrepreneurs

If you now do what others don't, you can later do what others can't. I read this line in one of the entrepreneur blogs, and started to realize what it takes to be a self-made entrepreneur. In my best effort to become one, I created a few webapps on weekends just by myself. The works of my personal heroes Markus Frind (Founder, PlentyOfFish.com) & James Hong (Co-Founder, HotorNot.com), and several entrepreneurial blog posts motivate me.

Creating a webapp in one's garage, and selling it for a few million dollars has become hip now-a-days. Check out the article by Markus Frind that outlines how creators of self-initiated projects can make as much money as VC-backed founders do. In one of the recent events, Guy Kawasaki moderated a panel of 5 self-made entrepreneurs who provided many good insights into starting and funding a company today. You can download the MP3 from Guy's blog.

Also do checkout this amazing book that will interest young individuals aspiring to become entrepreneurs of tomorrow.

The success stories of several entrepreneurs, bundled with wisdom and lessons learnt from their startup days is packaged in the form of a book titled "Founders at Work". As Guy puts it, "It’s a gold mine for great stories about entrepreneurship". I recently purchased this book as a gift for my friend's b'day, and he loved it. Someday, I will buy one for myself too...

If my dreams can come true, my name will appear in the second edition of this book ;)

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful and inspiring, thank you, it is truly encouraging, I am getting there...
Mathllde L